Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

Opinion

‘Amanda Staveley takeover will be announced this week’ – Pitiful ‘Exclusive’

3 years ago
Share

Amanda Staveley will complete the purchase of Newcastle United this week…that is if you believe this Sunday ‘exclusive’.

Two weeks ago (28 October 2017), The Star claimed to have insider knowledge of a meeting between Amanda Staveley and ‘Newcastle Chiefs’.

They said that the meeting was to discuss Rafa Benitez’ January transfer budget and that £100m+ had been guaranteed to spend, with moves for Ross Barkley, Andy Carroll and Luke Shaw discussed.

Things are getting even worse/more desperate where The Star are concerned, as today their ‘exclusive’ (read it below) states that Amanda Staveley ended due diligence last month, and that the takeover of Newcastle United will be announced this week.

On a scale of 1 to 100 on whether I believe this, I think safe to say that the number I would choose doesn’t feature on that scale.

I would put as much faith in The Star’s exclusive as I would on one that featured earlier today.

An Indonesian website published a story claiming Amanda Staveley was set to buy NUFC but it was obviously a case of them googling all the Newcastle United takeover articles of the past month, then taking a little bit from here, a little bit from there, and producing their own ‘Blue Peter’ make your own Newcastle United takeover article. They had Staveley (they also appear to believe that Amanda Staveley is a man in their takeover story…) valuing the club at £300m and claiming £500m to spend in the transfer market, all about as believable as The Star…

I will be more than happy to see The Star prove me wrong this week but I have a feeling I will be heading down to Old Trafford next Saturday, not drunk on the euphoria of Mike Ashley finally packing his bags and Amanda Staveley queen of all she surveys at St James Park.

The Star – 12 November 2017:

‘Talk has been rife of Amanda Staveley’s company, PCP Capital Partners, buying the North East outfit ever since the financier was spotted at St. James’ Park earlier this season.

The investment company entered the process of due diligence at the club last month and wanted a deal finalised by Christmas, which matched the desires of current owner Mike Ashley.

And Starsport now understands the takeover will be announced this week.

The news will be welcomed by Newcastle fans, who have long sought-after a change in ownership.

Staveley is said to want the deal finalised by December in order to allow Rafa Benitez the chance to plan a transfer strategy for early 2018.

Last month, Starsport reported the businesswoman had met with Newcastle chiefs in London to discuss the takeover and that Benitez will receive upwards of £100m to spend when the transfer window rolls back around.

The club were said to be prioritising the need for a left-back, midfielder and forward.

Moves for Luke Shaw, Ross Barkley and former Magpies striker Andy Carroll were all discussed in the meeting.

Benitez has remained tight-lipped when it comes to takeover speculation but will no doubt be excited by the prospect of a transfer war chest.’

(The Express have repeated the exclusive from The Star – The two newspapers are owned by the same person…)
[get_involved]

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2020 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks