Agent confirms in exclusive no Newcastle approach for Lisandro Lopez
Newcastle have been linked a number of times with Lisandro Lopez.
Only last month (see below) it was claimed he was a ‘priority signing for Rafa Benitez when the transfer window opens in January.
As we said then, it all seemed a little dubious, based on the fact the Argentine defender had done nothing to suggest he was good enough for the Premier League AND centre-half is the last position Newcastle are desperate to strengthen.
Along with the media in Turkey, the Portuguese seem far far worse than even the English press when it comes to inventing transfer stories/interest.
With the case of Lisandro Lopez appearing to back that up.
In a exclusive on Friday lunchtime, Sport Witness have spoken to Gustavo Goni, agent of Lisandro Lopez.
Gustavo Goni asked by Sport Witness if Newcastle had made moves to sign the player:
“The truth is that about Newcastle we didn’t not know anything (about any offers/approaches).
“At least nobody talked to us, but yes, there are several (others) interested.
“Only approaches from England, no concrete offer. I don’t like to say names when there is nothing concrete because Lisandro is a player who has his own name made in Europe.”
The Mag – 11 October 2017
Newcastle are set to make a January move for Lisandro Lopez according to reports on Wednesday.
Rafa Benitez was credited with interest in the player in January but the price was reported by the Portuguese media to be too high for Newcastle at the time.
Now the Portuguese newspapers are claiming that Rafa has made Lopez a ‘priority’ signing for this January.
It is difficult to believe there is any substance in this one, for a number of reasons.
In Portugal, O Jogo claim that Rafa is a long-time admirer of the 28 year old but if that’s the case, the Newcastle manager hasn’t had a lot to go on.
Lisandro Lopez arrived at Benfica in summer 2013 from Arsenal (the one in Argentina) and since then, has only started 26 league games in getting on for four and a half years, though he did spend a year out on loan in 2013/14.
Last season he started six league matches and this time only one so far, even though he plays in a weak Portuguese league and Benfica are only third at the moment.
This summer saw the Portuguese media appear about as reliable as the Turkish newspapers when it came to transfer speculation.
Repeatedly, Newcastle were said to be on the brink of signing Andreas Samaris, Lopez’ Benfica teammate, for what would have been a new Newcastle transfer record of around £20m. This despite 28 year old Samaris struggling to get a game just like Lisandro Lopez, starting nine league games last season and only one this time.
More bizarrely, the Argentine is just the latest in a line of centre-backs linked with a January move to Newcastle, a position which surely is the least needy in terms of reinforcements.
Newcastle have arguably their strongest group of centre-backs for many years, with Lascelles and Clark currently first choice, then Lejeune and Mbemba both popular with supporters as well.
Lisandro Lopez did get a start in the Champions League when Benfica lost 2-1 at home to CSKA Moscow, though he didn’t even make the squad for their last CL match, a 5-0 hammering at Basel.
In seven days time they have Manchester United to deal with but Lopez looks very unlikely to figure, though not as unlikely as Newcastle buying him in January.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]