Slaven Bilic was today asked whether Andy Carroll was returning to Newcastle United.
The striker left St James Park six and a half years ago and every transfer window the story runs in the media.
As for the latest speculation about Carroll pulling on the black and white stripes again, Bilic gave four reasons for this latest renewed speculation:
“Because we play Newcastle.
“He is from Newcastle.
“He is on the verge of coming back.
“You have to fill the papers.”
Think that just about covers it!
Last year Andy Carroll managed 15 Premier League starts, the most he has managed since 2012/13.
However, not having played since April due to his very latest injury, it is touch and go whether the forward is involved at Newcastle on Saturday.
Bilic says that Andy Carroll has now managed seven training sessions without getting injured again and he will ‘decide on Friday’ whether he is included in the matchday squad.
“Andy Carroll has trained seven times with us.
“There is a big question regarding the Newcastle game and whether it is too soon.
“He wants to play but I told him that we’re going to have to see.
“We will decide on Friday.
“He’s always a very interesting character to be in the papers for whatever reason.
“I think it’s because we play Newcastle, he’s from Newcastle, he’s on the verge of coming back and you have to fill the papers.”
“It (conceding goals) is a thing that we are talking about.
“Those three goals we conceded (at Southampton) came from individual mistakes and the players are very frustrated.
“You can very easily stop these kind of situations, like the first goal against Southampton when it was obvious what they were going to do.
“We are analysing it and encouraging the players to do what they have to do – and they will do it.”