Rafa Benitez ‘furious’ and wants ‘showdown’ talks with Mike Ashley – Club’s official media partner
With only one week to go until Newcastle United kick off in the Premier League, Rafa Benitez is demanding ‘showdown talks’ with Mike Ashley.
That is what an exclusive from the club’s official media partner has claimed today.
The Mirror says that Rafa Benitez has finally reached breaking point over the failure by the club to sign the players that he wants/needs this summer.
The newspaper reports that a failure to bid enough for both Crystal Palace’s Andros Townsend and Stoke’s Joselu, have been the final straw(s).
Whilst there appears to be little doubt that Rafa is indeed very frustrated at Ashley’s failure to back him properly/realistically this summer, it is worth noting at this point, that The Mirror have run this story (Rafa having showdown/set to leave etc etc) a number of times.
Again, this is a story (Rafa Benitez unhappy over lack of transfer spending) that anybody could have written really and the insight The Mirror are offering, looks a bit dubious.
The Townsend part of it maybe, as he is no doubt valued at more than £10m this summer – but the Joselu part is a bit comical.
It was widely reported (see below) on Friday that Stoke had turned down a ‘derisory’ offer for Joselu but to claim that this was £12m is laughable.
At 27, Joselu has never scored double figures in a league season in the top division of any country and after Stoke paid £7m two years ago, he only managed four Premier League goals in his first season, then was sent out on loan managed only five goals in La Liga for Deportivo last season.
This ‘crazy’ transfer market is prompting newspapers to try and justify many ludicrous transfer stories and claiming £12m wouldn’t be enough to land Joselu, is another for that pile.
We all wait to see just what Rafa Benitez will do, if anything, if he doesn’t get the players he wants this summer.
After the January window when not a single one of his targets was brought in, even on loan, Rafa went public with his anger and frustration – but then said that had to be put to one side for the time being and the club get on with the job of promotion.
If the United boss isn’t backed this time, it will surely be far harder for him to put this one to one side and just get on with the uphill task that will await.
Newcastle United official media partner, The Mirror:
‘Rafa Benitez set for Newcastle showdown talks over transfer impasse as £12m bid for Stoke’s Joselu fails.
The Spaniard is furious Newcastle have failed to land Stoke striker Joselu after a £12million bid was turned down
Rafa Benitez is heading for a fresh showdown with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley over the latest transfer impasse.
Benitez is also frustrated that Ashley and chief executive Lee Charnley are refusing to enter the race for former winger Andros Townsend.
The England ace, who quit St James’ Park 12 months ago, is free to leave Crystal Palace but they turned down a £10million offer.
Benitez is keen to re-sign Townsend but the board also refused to make a move for Townsend in January.’
The Mag – 4 August 2017:
With Newcastle United ever more desperate to add goals to the squad, news on Friday afternoon claiming that a bid for Joselu has been rejected out of hand.
The Spanish striker was signed for £7m by Stoke from Hannover in summer 2015 but the move didn’t work out, with only four goals in 24 Premier League appearances (10 starts) in 2015/16.
The local Stoke Sentinel newspaper says that Newcastle’s bid was judged ‘derisory’ by Stoke City.
After that initial poor season, last year Joselu returned on loan to another Spanish club.
In light of Newcastle’s claimed interest in him, ironically it was Lucas Perez’ departure to Arsenal that promoted Deportivo to take Joselu on loan for last season. Making nine starts and 11 appearances off the bench, the now 27 year old forward scored five La Liga goals.
Rafa Benitez would no doubt know all about his countryman and in 2010 Joselu looked to be in the ascendancy after moving to Real Madrid from Celta Vigo.
Then 20, Joselu went on to score 40 goals in 53 starts (plus sub appearances) over the course of two seasons for Real Madrid reserves, who play in the second tier of Spanish football.
However, the young striker was given only six minutes of La Liga first team action for Real Madrid.
A £5m move to Hoffenheim in August 2012 was later followed with a loan spell at Eintracht Frankfurt and then £4m sale to Hannover.
However, nowhere has he managed to be anywhere near as prolific as he was for Real Madrid reserves in the Spanish second tier and indeed has never managed double figures in a league season at any other club.
If there is substance in Newcastle interest then if they do make a more substantial offer, difficult to see Joselu contributing a significant number of goals.
The 6ft 3 striker has played for Spain’s Under 20s but never featured at senior level.
‘Stoke City have roundly rejected an offer from Newcastle for in-form striker Joselu.
The club considered the bid derisory and will now wait to see if an improved offer lands on their table.
Joselu has courted headlines recently after stepping off the bench to net a brace at Bolton last weekend in his first game back at the club – and then added two more to his collection at St Pauli on Tuesday evening.
Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez knows all about his Spanish compatriot and sees him as a potential spearhead following promotion back to the Premier League.’
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]