After a summer long battle to shift them, Rafa Benitez is set to move out at least three of his unwanted Newcastle players in the next 48 hours.
Over in Holland, Telesport report that Siem de Jong is deep in negotiations to return to Ajax.
Signed from the Dutch club for £6m back in 2014, the move has been nothing short of disastrous, as injuries and poor form have seen him start only four league games for NUFC.
This summer he was given every chance in the pre-season friendlies but has done nothing to show he can offer anything in the Premier League. Back in July (see below), de Jong’s agent revealed that whilst the midfielder would give everything to try and impress Rafa Benitez, they were still preparing alternatives if that didn’t happen.
Not even making the matchday 18 in the opening two Premier League matches has told Siem de Jong and his agent that an alternative club is definitely needed.
Telesport say that Reading had actually offered £2m for de Jong and the player was interested in joining up with his countryman Jaap Stam.
However, a phone call from Ajax manager Marcel Keizer is said to have persuaded the 28 year old to head back to his old club instead, even though it means he has to accept far lower wages than at Newcastle, even less than what Reading had offered. The Ajax boss reportedly convinced de Jong by saying he wants him to be a central figure at the club, one who can help inspire the younger players with his leadership.
Louis Laros (agent to Siem de Jong) – 16 July 2017:
“We do not know (what Rafa Benitez has planned for Siem de Jong), the preparation has just started and Siem has never made a secret of it his intention to still succeed at Newcastle,
“Newcastle have not bought a lot of new players (this summer), so I expect that there still will be some signings in the near future.
“Wait and see if there is the opportunity for Siem. He has never really worked under Benitez, so he must now try to take his chance.
“We obviously take account of that scenario (Siem de Jong needing to find a new club) and therefore continuously collect options.
“Those options (of moving elsewhere) are there now and Siem is regularly kept informed.
“But any transfer is not easy. You have to deal with his salary, the asking price and the prospect of another club.”
Meanwhile, the French media report that Emmanuel Riviere is also due to leave Newcastle very shortly.
The end of last month saw claims that Metz had persuaded the striker to join them, rather than head off to Turkish SuprLig club Osmanlıspor.
That deal never went through but now it’s reported that Riviere and Metz have now closed the gap on what was offered/wanted and the transfer is imminent. With only eight days left of the transfer window, no doubt reality is setting in, with the striker realising he can’t expect his Newcastle wages to be met.
Completing the trio of expected imminent departures is Achraf Lazaar.
Positive reports from Italy say that the player and his agents are close to a deal which will see him return to Serie A after leaving Palermo for Newcastle a year ago.
No destination is mentioned but Lazaar travelled to Milan to meet with his agents at the weekend to work on finding a new club.
The player returned to Tyneside after receiving no ‘concrete offers’ but Italian Sky Sports journalist Gianluca di Marzio followed up by reporting that a move to Bologna was on the cards, IF Sevilla qualified for the Champions League group stage.
The Spanish side had offered £6m for (Bologna left-back) Adam Masina which was rejected but di Marzio’s information was that they would come back with an improved offer upon qualification.
They had won 2-1 over in Turkey against Istanbul Basaksehir FK last week and the second leg was played in Sevilla on Tuesday night.
A scare for Sevilla as the visitors took a first-half lead before Sevilla came back to lead 2-1 in the second-half, a 4-2 advantage on aggregate. An 83rd minute goal reduced the advantage to 4-3 and a goal in the final minutes for Basaksehir would have taken the Turkish club through on away goals.
Happily Sevilla held on and so it is now expected Sevilla will complete Masina’s move with an improved offer, with Bologna then completing a deal for Achraf Lazaar to replace him.