Young promising Newcastle midfielder agrees new two year deal
As well as the signing of Florian Lejeune, Tuesday has seen news of promising young Newcastle midfielder Sean Longstaff agreeing a new contract at the club.
The Chronicle report that the 19 year old has put pen to paper on a two contract after impressed at youth and then reserve team level.
Last month, as well as revealing that Vurnon Anita, Sammy Ameobi and others had been allowed to leave the club, Newcastle confirmed that they had offered a new contract to Sean Longstaff – with that deal now finalised.
A major step forward in January saw Sean Longstaff head off to Kilmarnock for some first team football, along with Callum Roberts and Freddie Woodman.
Longstaff did really well and managed three goals in 17 starts for the Scottish Premier League side.
According to the Chronicle, already a number of clubs in both League One and the Scottish Premiership have indicated they’d like to take him on loan this coming season.
When signing on loan at Kilmarnock, Sean Longstaff said:
“I have been in the reserves for a few years now so I was looking for a change and new challenge.
“I am really looking forward to playing Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts.”
Newcastle United Official Statement – 9 June 2017:
‘Newcastle United has published its list of retained players following the 2016/17 season.
The club has confirmed that Vurnon Anita, Sammy Ameobi, Lubo Satka and Haris Vuckic will all leave St. James’ Park when their contracts expire this summer.
Florian Thauvin has completed a permanent move to Marseille following a loan spell at the Orange Vélodrome.
Youngsters Jamie Holmes, Stefan Broccoli and Ben Smith will also depart, along with Academy players Gideon Adu-Peprah and Daniel Lowther.
Meanwhile, the club has offered new professional contracts to midfielders Sean Longstaff, Dan Ward and Jack Hunter, goalkeeper Paul Woolston, defender Michael Newberry and forwards Tom Heardman and Luke Charman.
Scholars Yannick Aziakonou, Owen Bailey, Owen Gallacher, Nathan Harker, Mackenzie Heaney, Ben Kitchen, Oliver Long, Lewis McNall, Callum Smith, Craig Spooner have also been offered new deals.
Joining the Academy on two-year scholarships are Max Allen, Ryan Barrett, Thomas Cole, Sam Joyce, Deese Kasinga Madia and Jack Young.
The club has opened discussions with Yoan Gouffran’s representatives, which may see the Frenchman extend his stay at St. James’ Park.
Manager Rafa Benítez said: “I wish to give sincere thanks to all those players from the first team and at under-23 level who we have made the difficult decision to release this summer.
“In particular to Vurnon Anita, who has served Newcastle United magnificently over the last five years. Vurnon is an outstanding team-player, always working for the team and willing to step into whatever position he was needed to fill. He is an excellent professional and I thank him for every contribution he has made over the years, particularly in my time as manager.
“Yoan Gouffran has been an equally committed and dedicated team-player for this club, as well as a hugely popular member of the squad.
“I can confirm we are in early stage discussions now with Yoan’s agent to see if there might be a solution that could work for both the player and the club which may see Yoan extend his service to Newcastle United, but we will know more in the coming days.
“Thanks also to Sammy Ameobi, who came back in January and made a contribution to the second half of the season. He was always so positive and did everything he could to help the team achieve success.
“To all those players released by the club today, we wish to thank you for your loyalty and commitment and wish you the very best for your future in football. I say to them all, keep working hard and you will find the success that you seek and deserve.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]