Newcastle have made an approach to AC Milan for M’Baye Niang according to reports on Friday morning.
The 22 year old was at Watford in the second half of last season on loan and scored two goals plus grabbed two assists, whilst in the first half of the last campaign Niang scored three goals and got two assists for AC Milan in Serie A.
Newcastle have been interested in the winger since way back in 2013 according to media reports throughout that time, right from when he was only 18 years of age.
Quite possibly one of Graham Carr’s extensive list of young French players to follow, January 2015 (see below) brought came claims in Italy that then relegation threatened Newcastle wanted M’Baye Niang but wouldn’t pay the loan fee AC Milan were demanding.
Then in summer 2015, Newcastle were said to have had an offer of around £5m rejected by the Italian club.
As well as loan spells at both Genoa and Watford, the French Under 21 international has also managed 67 Serie A appearances fro AC Milan but doesn’t look to have a long-term future there.
Talk of an £18m valuation is a little comical considering what he has achieved so far but on occasions, though not enough, he did show moments of quality for Watford in his 16 Premier League appearances last season.
Another one for the long list of possibles/not likelys that Newcastle have been linked with this summer.
From The Mag – 6 January 2015:
Late Monday night brought reports from Italy that Newcastle United have had a bid for M’Baye Niang rejected.
Signed for £2.5m from French club Caen as a seventeen year old, on Saturday we reported that Niang had been targeted by Torino, Olympiakos and Udinese as well as Newcastle, all four looking to loan the player.
Now the Italian media have said that AC Milan have rejected Newcastle’s offer because they weren’t prepared to pay the loan fee the Italian club have placed on his head.
Niang spent the second half of last season out on loan at Montpellier and it is claimed that AC Milan would prefer a clean break and sell the striker, with a fee of around £4m likely to land him.
However, the next preferred option is that they are prepared to loan the forward out, if somebody will pay the loan fee.
The twenty year old French Under 21 international has struggled for pitch time at AC Milan and has only played 24 minutes of Seria A action in three brief substitute appearances this season.
M’Baye Niang scored four goals in seventeen starts for Montpellier in that loan spell but has only scored once for Milan in a cup game, though that is from very limited opportunities.
Newcastle were linked with the striker before he left Caen, plus he was reported to be an option for a loan to Tyneside back in summer 2013 before Loic Remy arrived.
Niang’s ‘fame’ is more for his off the pitch activities up until now, particularly for driving offences in both France and Italy, the latest saw him in a collision with a tree which led to an eighteen month suspended prison sentence in early 2014.