Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

John Carver gives latest transfer advice to Rafa Benitez and Newcastle United

4 years ago
Share

As Newcastle fans still wait to see which signings will get over the line, John Carver has been giving his advice to Rafa Benitez and NUFC.

Carver was dismissed by Cypriot club Omonia Nicosia after a fans revolt against his management in February.

The former Newcastle assistant/head coach getting the sack in February after supporters of the club threw fireworks onto the pitch and a match had to be abandoned.

As a result, John Carver has been appearing once again in the media to give his take on what is happening at Newcastle United, with his latest appearance being on Talksport on Thursday morning.

Pardew’s former assistant said that he thinks Newcastle could do with around eight new signings.

Carver believing that this could be split between three or four top signings who would be definite first team starters, the one-time Newcastle coach describing them as ‘marquee’ players/signings.

To beef the squad up further, John Carver stated that another three or four lesser signings would then be enough to give Newcastle a strong enough team/squad for the Premier League.

He described these additional/lesser signings as ‘foot soldiers’ and advised Rafa Benitez and Newcastle United to use the loan market and Rafa’s connections, to help stretch the transfer budget out by using loan signings.

Whilst Newcastle appear to have lost out to Chelsea on Tammy Abraham, Wednesday night saw them said to be in talks to bring in 20 year old left winger Sheyi Ojo on loan from Liverpool.

John Carver thinks that Benitez can use his contacts to bring in two or three loan players such as Ojo, from his previous clubs, Carver adding names such as Chelsea striker Ruben Loftus-Cheek who Newcastle were linked with earlier this summer.

Nathaniel Chalobah was on loan at Napoli last season and Carver thinks the 22 year old would be another good loan signing from Chelsea.

John Carver speaking to Talksport:

“Going into this transfer market with Rafa’s experience, with Rafa’s connections in the game at both Chelsea and at Liverpool.

“I know that they have been linked with the young boy from Liverpool, (Sheyi) Ojo, you were talking about Nathaniel Chalobah and Ruben Loftus-Cheek (both Chelsea players) – why don’t Newcastle go on and get two or three of those and that will improve the squad.

“Absolutely (when asked if Mike Ashley was going to back Rafa in the transfer market), one million% because I know where that football club is now.

“It’s in a sound position and if you think of the assets, it was clever business last season by Rafa.

“You look at the assets they have got there – a lot of good Championship players and there will be sides in the Championship knocking on Newcastle’s door.

“Five or six players who are saleable assets and that will be extra money to go into the coffers, along with money they’ve received from promotion and money they’ve made in the past.

“There is money there to be spent for sure and I’m delighted to see how they have changed their policy and allowing the manager to pick the players.”

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2021 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks