Moussa Sissoko agent – J’accuse Newcastle United
It is now all out in the open, Newcastle United and the Moussa Sissoko camp playing out a very public war of attrition.
The player’s agent now accusing the club of reneging on an agreement that he claims the parties struck a year ago.
However, Moussa Sissoko and his representatives discovering that their verbal ‘contract’ with NUFC isn’t worth the paper it is printed on.
The player’s (unnamed) representative claims that last summer there was an agreement reached whereby the midfielder would leave one more year and then Newcastle wouldn’t stand in his way of leaving, with a fee of no more than 25m (approx £21.2m) euros to be demanded.
Leaving aside the more outlandish claims that Moussa Sissoko ‘has always been loyal, has always respected the club, the fans…’…
The player’s representative’s comments do match what we were told a year ago, that there had been interest in Sissoko but that it suited the club AND him to stay until this close season, the idea being that it would help Newcastle in their first season under McClaren (oh dear!) and it meant he was guaranteed game time to help ensure he made France’s Euros squad.
No mention back then of potential transfer fees and indeed most Newcastle fans would be amazed if anybody thought Moussa Sissoko was worth anything even approaching £21.2m, never mind substantially more!
However, Monday saw Newcastle United brief the press and make public that any bidding for Sissoko would have to start at £35m, after he had a couple of decent games at the Euros (a bit like he did during the 38 match 2015/16 season for Newcastle…).
Sissoko’s agent says that there has been interest now from clubs but has clearly got a sweat on now with Newcastle’s revelation yesterday…
Speaking to Foot Mercato:
“We do not understand…
“It was agreed that Moussa would stay one more season at Newcastle to help the team – he did the best that he could.
“The club has always said Moussa could leave for between 18m euros (approx £15.2m) and 25m euros (approx £21.1m) maximum.
“We hope that Rafa Benitez and the president will be more reasonable about Moussa’s future.
“He has always been loyal, he has always respected the club, the fans….
“There are clubs who came to us and to the club (Newcastle United) – we are fully aware of their approaches and we just want everything to go well.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]