Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Dispute over cash Newcastle paid for Dwight Gayle

5 years ago
Share

Newcastle United made their second signing of the season on Friday (1 July) morning, when Dwight Gayle agreed to move from, Selhurst Park to St James Park.

Even though Newcastle, as is the norm these days, did not reveal the transfer fee that was paid, it was widely reported as being £10m.

At the time, it was also said that Peterborough would receive around £1m of the £10m Newcastle were paying, with the now League One club having included a sell-on clause when Palace paid £6m for Dwight Gayle in summer 2013.

However, Peterborough’s Director of Football, Barry Fry, says that Crystal Palace are now dragging their heels and arguing over how much, if anything, is due to the third tier club.

Barry Fry:

“Palace have never bought the clause out. It is still in place and we are currently arguing with them over the amount due to us.”

If Peterborough are indeed found to be in the right on this one, then it is pretty shameful behaviour by Crystal Palace, seen as they are making a profit on a player who they rarely gave a start to AND the small matter of receiving around £100m next season simply by being a Premier League club.

When Dwight Gayle signed, he had this to say last week:

“It’s a dream come true to be at a big club like this.

“Newcastle has a massive fan base and a great history so it is amazing to be here.

“I can’t wait to get started, prove myself and score the goals that take us back up to the Premier League. It’s where this Club belongs.”

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2021 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks