According to the latest reports from France, David Ginola underwent emergency surgery late on Thursday night and into the early hours of Friday morning – coming out of surgery at 2am earlier today.
Nice-Matin maintain that David Ginola did have a heart attack on Thursday afternoon and is now in intensive care after the operation.
The French newspaper report having a source close to the cardiothoracic center in Monaco where Ginola is being treated and say that the 49 year old is under the care of Professor Gilles Dreyfus, a cardiovascular surgery specialist.
Nice-Matin report say their source has told them:
“Always be careful, the next few hours will be critical, but the operation went well and, given his age, there is hope.”
What was reported on Thursday afternoon/evening:
Thursday afternoon brought reports from French media that the former Newcastle star had been rushed to hospital in Monaco by helicopter after allegedly suffering a heart attack.
However, later reports on Thursday night claimed that it was heatstroke that the 49 year old was suffering from and that his condition wasn’t serious.
This appeared to be confirmed when a message was sent from David Ginola’s Twitter account saying:
‘Footy match in the midday sun, not very clever. Now having some tests done. Whoever voted for a World Cup in Qatar in the summer?’
However, that was then further followed by claims that David Ginola is in a serious condition and that the Twitter message gave out incorrect information and was actually sent by Ginola’s agent and not the former player himself.
GFFN report that a phone-in on the L’Équipe du Soir programme on Thursday night featured French journalist Jean Philippe Lustyk and that he was by David Ginola’s side during the incident.
To further confuse matters, the first reports said David Ginola was taking part in a golf tournament but all subsequent reporting agrees that it was during a football game where this happened.
Jean Philippe Lustyk said on L’Équipe du Soir that there had indeed been a cardiac arrest and that Ginola remained in a coma last night. He named French singer songwriter Matt Pokora and former French handball star Olivier Girault as having given Ginola initial help when he is said to have collapsed.
GFFN report Jean Phillippe Lustyk saying:
“The emergency services arrived at the scene within 15 minutes of the incident. And today we cannot know (what is going to happen). He is in a stationary state. He is in a coma. There was a cardiac arrest, he had a heart attack on the pitch. He fell in front of us. And if he has been saved, I am using the conditional tense because the situation right now is still very dramatic. Contrary to what was announced on social media, notably by his agent.
At no moment was David Ginola in a good state. There was a message on Twitter: “I am fine, don’t worry.” This is absolutely not the case. Sadly, no. He remains in a stationary state. And so nobody can know anything.
The emergency services have indicated that the initial response came from Olivier Girault (handball player) and Matt Pokora who were on the pitch with him… They ran towards him, first of all to prevent him from swallowing his own tongue and second of all they administered the first cardiac massages when Ginola’s pulse was not there. So during those crucial 15 minutes before the emergency services arrived, they prevented him from being dead… At the moment we absolutely cannot know David’s state.”
It all seems very strange that there has been no conclusive statement made so far from anybody close to David Ginola, considering the speculation surrounding his condition.
Whatever the circumstances, we obviously all wish David Ginola a full and quick recovery.