Keith Millen denies any contact from Newcastle for emergency loan goalkeeper
Keith Millen has denied that Newcastle United have been in touch for an emergency loan of goalkeeper Julian Speroni.
Reports had circulated claiming Newcastle had approached Crystal Palace but on Tuesday the Croydon Advertiser spoke to Millen and he said that Alan Pardew wanted to keep all three of his goalkeepers at Selhurst Park, at least until the January transfer window.
Currently Wayne Hennessey and Alex McCarthy are the two goalkeepers in the matchday 18, with the experienced Julian Speroni on the sidelines.
Keith Millen says he knows of no contact so far, though he understands that Newcastle are ‘on the lookout’ for one.
The Shields Gazette had claimed this morning that Newcastle United were waiting to see if Rob Elliot made any progress with his injury before investigating a possible emergency loan.
The situation having the extra angle of a two week international break after this weekend’s match at Bournemouth, meaning Karl Darlow could be back into contention by then, as well as Rob Elliot if he did happen to miss this Saturday.
Raising the possibility of any emergency loan keeper only likely to feature against Bournemouth, or in the event of Elliot not being passed fit would Newcastle go with 18 year old Freddie Woodman for this one game?
Keith Millen talking to the Croydon Advertiser:
“I am not aware of that (Newcastle enquiry for Julian Speroni), as far as I know the gaffer wants to keep all three goalkeepers here until January at the least.
“Of course, Newcastle are on the lookout for a keeper but I haven’t been told anything.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]