David Moyes admits turned down offers – Newcastle move exclusive in May on the money?
David Moyes is not a happy man, Tuesday has seen him release a statement through the LMA (League Managers Association) expressing his disappointment at Real Sociedad sacking him, especially as he says he ‘turned down a number of job opportunities in recent months’.
If we step back to May 2015, Spanish newspaper ‘Sport’ had an exclusive where they reported that Newcastle United had approached David Moyes to become the next manager at St. James Park.
The exclusive reported that the approach by United has been made through Kenny Moyes, brother of the former Everton manager. As well as being his sibling, Kenny is a football agent who also helps look after his brother’s interests.
At that time, Steve McClaren had already turned down Newcastle and with three matches to go, Derby looked nailed on to make the play-offs to the Premier League and with every chance of getting promoted, which would ave meant McClaren staying at Derby for sure.
However, only a couple of days after this claimed exclusive in Spain, David Moyes then did an interview with the Guardian, in it he reaffirmed his commitment to Real Sociedad and with regard to the Newcastle rumours and others he said ‘There is always speculation but I am here to do a job…I’m not going anywhere’.
David Moyes – May 2015:
“There is always speculation but I am here to do the job and I’m going to be here. I want to try to get everything in place so we can be at our best for the start of next season.
“There are improvements I would like to make, things I want to change, small things that will help. If they can do that, this place really would be perfect and I will be here, I’m not going anywhere.”
With David Moyes let go by the La Liga club, there was renewed speculation linking him with Newcastle, with claims that Mike Ashley admired the success at Everton, especially when it came to improving players, rather than relying on always buying new players in.
In his statement today, David Moyes says that he turned down opportunities in recent months, so was that Spanish exclusive nearer to the mark than maybe most of us thought?
David Moyes – 17 November 2015:
“I made a firm promise to Real Sociedad to honour my contract and it is disappointing not to be able to fulfil this commitment especially when I have turned down a number of job opportunities in recent months.
“After spending 12 years in the Premier League as manager of Everton and Manchester United, I was keen to take the opportunity to work abroad and have learnt a great deal from the experience.
“It has been a pleasure to work in their beautiful city and immerse myself in their culture. Their warmth and generosity has made me feel very at home over the last year.
“When I accepted the job as manager of La Real last November, my remit was to avoid relegation and retain the club’s La Liga status.
“We succeeded in attaining that target and finished 12th in the table.
“I feel that we made significant progress last season; beating Barcelona in front of our home fans was a memorable highlight.
“I am disappointed to have left the club.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]