The Dutchman completed a £14.5m move on Saturday 12 July for Newcastle United but who is Georginio Wijnaldum?
Writer James Rutherford expands our knowledge of the talented midfielder who made his debut on Saturday night at Sacramento.
(To feature like James, send in your articles for our website to [email protected] – all views those of the author etc etc)
Here are the key facts:
Who is Georginio Wijnaldum?
- He was born in Rotterdam on November 11th, 1990.
- He has 2 middle names: Gregion Emile.
- He has 2 younger brothers, Giliano and Rogerio, with the former currently playing for Go Ahead Eagles.
- His cousin is former Real Madrid midfielder Royston Drenthe.
- His half brother is Rajiv Van La Parra, who currently plays for Championship outfit Wolverhampton Wanderers.
- He joined Sparta Rotterdam at the age of 6 and spent 7 years as a part of their youth setup.
- In 2004, he joined Feyenoord.
- He made his first team debut at the age of 16 at home against FC Groningen.
- 8 months later, he scored his first league goal.
- In the summer of 2011, he joined PSV Eindhoven for a reported five million euros.
- In 2013, he was named captain.
- In the following season, PSV won the Eredivisie for the first time since 2008.
- He won Dutch Footballer of the Year Award for the 2014/15 campaign.
- He has made 291 appearances in his club career, scoring 83 goals.
- He is capped at Under 17, Under 19 and Under 20 level for the Netherlands.
- Making his senior debut in 2011, he has been capped 19 times for the national team, scoring 3 goals.
- He has never been sent off in his career.
- Last season in the Eredivisie, he had a pass success percentage of 84.4%.
- He is rated 78 on FIFA 15, which is important to some people apparently.
You can follow James on Twitter @jrutherford11