John Carver has revealed that he had a chat with Steve McClaren on Tuesday.
The Newcastle Head Coach had claimed earlier in the week that he made the 300+ mile round trip to watch Siem de Jong play for the reserves against Derby.
However, now Carver has put an extra angle on it in terms of fans now no doubt wondering whether the reason was specifically to have this chat with McClaren, even though he has denied that is the case.
Why John Carver has decided to make this chat with the Derby boss public is anybody’s guess but here is what he had to say:
“I had a good chat with Steve McClaren and we didn’t talk about anything other than my situation and about what my players are doing on the pitch.
“It was all about me and how I had to cope with it, even he said ‘It has been a difficult thing for you John, I understand that, but you have handled it quite well, you have had to cope with it’.
Asked if they’d talked about McClaren getting the Newcastle job:
“Absolutely not, he just asked how I was coping, how I was dealing with it. Steve and I go way back, Steve Round and Paul Simpson (Derby coaching staff) were also there.
“We were all on that same Pro-Licence course together and when you go on these courses you get to know them, it was all about the situation here and nothing about what all the rumours (McClaren to Newcastle) are.
“Whether they are in for it or not they have to give me respect, so they were never going to talk about anything like that.
“You have got to give people opportunities and I think people out there understand the circumstances – extreme circumstances, if I have got the tools…
“I had a chat to Chris Ramsey (QPR’s internal appointment also heading for relegation) and he said, ‘I have seen the sides you’re putting out John, it is difficult’.
“But listen, I am in pole position at the moment and until I’m told otherwise, nothing is going to change.
“Whether that is next week, the following week, in the summer, I’m in pole position and that is how I look at it.”