Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Walking away from NUFC was a nightmare but staying away has been too easy

6 years ago
Share

I made the decision to walk away from NUFC at the end of last season.

After countless years of following the team I’d had enough, it wasn’t easy to make the break but after a lot of thinking I went through with it.

When I say I walked away from Newcastle United it wasn’t the club of course, it was Mike Ashley.

I just couldn’t contemplate giving him a single penny more of my money as he continues to laugh in our faces.

(To feature like Jane, send in your articles for our website to [email protected])

Yes yes yes, I know big Mike won’t be lying in bed having sleepless nights bothered about my missing ticket money but what is important, is that it bothered me.

Walking away doesn’t mean that I have stopped supporting them and every match i continue to be desperate for Newcastle United to win.

These days however I do it from the pub and sadly it has become all too easy.

I would be back there in a flash if Ashley left, and he will sometime soon, or if the ticket money I paid could somehow go to charity instead of into his big fat bank account.

I still go to as many away matches as I can, though it does stick in my throat that I have to pay Mike Ashley a £1 surcharge on every away ticket bought.

Like many other long standing supporters I speak to who would have still watched Newcastle United in the Conference and beyond, the club owner has done something I would have never thought possible, he has made me determined to never step inside St.James’ Park – until he leaves.

I don’t call people fools for still going to matches. It’s a personal thing and after all, going to watch the football is what being a supporter is all about.

Mike Ashley loves the whole divide and rule thing, he really really loves it and indeed it is also central to his ever expanding business empire.

He loves United fans ending up arguing between themselves – the still going to games v the stay aways, ant-Pardew v pro-Pardew (if they actually exist and aren’t paid employees populating message boards/websites).

In his business world he has less than 10% of his Sports Direct workforce on massive bonuses for whipping the other 90% into greater efforts, even though they have no guarantee of work from week to week as well as no proper sickness/holiday benefits.

Ashley parks his tanks on the lawn of business competitors and dares them to take him on.

Mine is a personal sacrifice but one that I don’t regret for a single second.

Predictably after a small spell lasting weeks, the team is yet again on the slide due to a lack of real quality and investment in the squad.

All fans dread the January window and the likely sale of a Moussa Sissoko rather than what should be a month of expectation that Ashley will belatedly look to build something of substance at Newcastle United.

He is playing us all for fools but this fool said enough was enough.

Ashley will continue to squeeze Newcastle United until he suddenly realises he has squeezed so hard that there is simply a lifeless corpse left in his grasping fingers.

Whilst walking away was so difficult for me, for Mike Ashley he won’t give a second thought whenever he drops Newcastle united – I just hope that the club isn’t flatlining by the time that moment comes.

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2021 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks