I Take It The Chronicle’s Talks With Mike Ashley’s Minions Didn’t Go Too Well…
The Chronicle’s attempts to climb back into bed with Mike Ashley appear not to have gone too well.
I read an article on this website ten days ago where it reported an interview that Trinity Mirror’s new ‘Editor of Football For The North East’, Mal Robinson, had done with a specialist media website.
In the interview, Robinson revealed that talks had already taken place between Trinity Mirror and Newcastle United (with some of Mike Ashley’s minions), to try and get the Chronicle, Sunday Sun and Journal having normal access to Newcastle United’s staff, along with the use of matchday press facilities.
Well the talks don’t seem to have gone too well.
Firstly, there has been no visible difference in access of journalists to the football club and the players/manager.
Secondly, I have seen no comment at all in these local papers, or on their websites, or by the individual journalists, neither commenting on or even acknowledging the talks between club and Trinity Mirror – leading me to wonder if the comments that were made public, shouldn’t have been from Trinity Mirror’s perspective.
(To feature like Dean, send in your articles for our website to [email protected])
Thirdly, it looks very clear to me that there has been a hardening of the reporting on Newcastle by those titles once again in the last week or ten days (since it was revealed there had been talks). Whereas in the lead up to the season the banned journalists and papers appeared to be falling over themselves to say how great the summer transfer business had been, talking very positively about the ‘new look’ squad’s chances this season.
Now they have changed tack and are reporting what any sensible fan has said all along; that there needed to be real quality brought in, especially up front and at centre-back, or else United were going to be in big trouble. I have also noticed them running polls as to what fans think of Ashley and Pardew etc. in recent days, surely something that is only going to bring a negative view of those who they are allegedly still trying to restore normal communications with.
Maybe I have just imagined this but I don’t think so.
If/they do climb back into bed together then I think we will all be keeping an eye on what they have to say then.
This is what was reported on this website on 27 August;
Mal Robinson has told leading media website The Drum;
“We have had dialogue with the club, and don’t get me wrong we want to get on board with the club, because obviously the local community is on board with it.
“It is not vital that we get them (NUFC) on board but it is always handy to have a partnership with the football club. The dialogue is ongoing at the moment, it is a work in progress.
“As has been proved over the course of a year, it is not crucial that we have access to the club. We have created content away from the club, spoken to former legends instead of current players, we’ve proved we can do it.
“Obviously it helps if the club is on board and we are seen to be working together for the community.
“With not having access to the clubs, even buying match tickets on a match day has been a problem.
“It has been difficult but the lads have embraced it.
“I would certainly point the finger towards the talks progressing after the transfer window.
“Fingers crossed we can get the professional relationship back up as it was before.
“We are going to retain our independent voice whether we are back on board or not.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]