Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Mike Ashley Implements ‘Fair’ Ticket Policy At Newcastle United

6 years ago
Share

A strange little tale has emerged ahead of the new season, with Mike Ashley reported to have stopped the practice whereby backroom staff such as Peter Beardsley, John Carver, Steve Stone and Andy Woodman were allocated up to four tickets each to bring family and friends to home matches.

The Chronicle claim that they understand the reasoning behind the move is to make it ‘fair’ for all staff.

John Carver

While a number of fans will no doubt go down the line of ‘why shouldn’t they pay for tickets, we have to etc etc’, that isn’t really the point is it.

(To feature like John, send in your articles for our website to [email protected])

These senior members of the backroom staff are key employees, who surely need to be in the best possible frame of mind to help the club move forward, ahead of a key seaspn. A few free tickets getting taken away isn’t the end of the world but it surely smacks of pettiness from the Newcastle owner.

Indeed the Chronicle quote the old ‘club insider’ saying;

“This has not gone down well behind the scenes ahead of the new season.”

The fact is that very few matches will be sold out this coming season and so the bum of a friend of John Carver’s filling an otherwise empty seat, doesn’t really see the club lose out.

As for Mike Ashley and treating staff fairly across the board, less than 10% of Sports Direct staff are on massive incentivised bonuses while the other 90% plus are on ‘zero hours’ contracts with no guarantee of hours from week to week.

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2020 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks