Club Officially Crush £60m Newcastle United Transfer Budget Exclusive
A breaking story late last night saw an exclusive by the Telegraph reveal that Alan Pardew was staying and that a £60m Newcastle United transfer budget (war chest…) was being supplied by Mike Ashley to back his manager.
The story also contained the news that the first of several signings would allegedly happen within the next few days, with most transfer business due to be concluded before the World Cup.
This (predicted official club statement backing Pardew) fits in with what had been speculated in recent days in the media.
In the Telegraph story, it also said that sources/sauces had reported that contrary to popular opinion (and reality) there had been no drop off in season ticket renewals.
I don’t think it is any coincidence that the Luke Edwards Telegraph exclusive last night came only a hour or two after the latest Fans Forum at St.James’ Park. The prediction in recent days that a club statement would be published today backing Pardew along with claims of a positive summer transfer window, were said to be timed in that way because the idea was to give the spiel to the fans forum members first.
So I don’t think you would have to be Sherlock Holmes or Freddie (Jimmy Nail) Spender to consider that the Telegraph info might just have come from somebody who had been at the Fans Forum, which was apparently scheduled for last night, although details were a bit vague with no confirmation on the club website or via the NUFC Fans Liaison Officer.
The story promoted by Edwards via his Twitter account;
“Newcastle owner decides against sacking Alan Pardew and gives him £60m budget”
However, the story took yet another twist in the early hours of the morning when Luke Edwards revealed the club Rottweilers had been onto him and the Telegraph journalist subsequentlyTweeted the following;
“#nufc have contacted me to dispute the fact they have pledged to spend £60m this summer. Happy to pass this info on. Budget is undisclosed”
Subsequently all mention of £60m has been removed from Edwards’ story, though other media had already picked up his story and repeated the £60m exclusive.
Seen as very few of us believe anything that the club say, it is amusing to think they go to the (over the top) trouble of reining in a journalist who says they are going to spend big on transfers this summer.
Maybe if Luke Edwards had said there was an exciting crop of youngsters coming through and Shola & Gosling were like ‘new signings’, they’d have just patted him on the back.
#nufc have contacted me to dispute the fact they have pledged to spend £60m this summer. Happy to pass this info on. Budget is undisclosed
— Luke Edwards (@LukeEdwardsTele) May 12, 2014
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]