It’s Not All That Bad At Newcastle United
I just wanted to write in because everything is negative at the moment but I think it’s not all that bad at Newcastle United.
Life isn’t good at the moment; we can’t score, our defending is poor, the players must be looking forward to the summer and the owner doesn’t share the fans’ ambition. The last month has been shocking, unbelievably painful, but I can’t help feeling that everything isn’t as bad as it’s being made out to be.
A year ago relegation was a real possibility, I’m 36 so only vaguely remember how bad things were in the 80s, but we all remember how bad 08-09 was. I’m not saying it’s been an amazing season, but it’s likely we’ll finish 9th or 10th, that to me isn’t too bad after last year.
The players are thinking about next season and the only way I can cope with what’s happening at the moment is to focus on what might happen next year (fingers crossed).
Positive things for next season:
• The Cabaye money hasn’t been spent – that means we’ve got at least 20 million in the bank.
• TV bonus money – I think a lot of clubs have spent their TV bonus already, we haven’t, so this must mean we’ve got some extra money waiting to be spent – please spend the money Mike!
• We’ve got some really good players (short on confidence at the moment but still class) – Sissoko, Debuchy, Tiote, Colo (apart from the last few games), Krul and Gouffran are the sort of players we can build a good team around
• We’re building slowly – if you look at teams like Everton and Spurs, they have sold their best players over the last 5 years but used the money wisely. We’re a few years behind them but we’ve bought pretty well recently so we can hopefully catch up quickly.
• We’re not bottom of the league – let’s all laugh at Sunderland
I try to be optimistic because I have to be – we haven’t won anything in my lifetime so I have to believe that we can before I die, otherwise what’s the point?
The key is to spend money this summer, if that doesn’t happen, even I might just run out of hope.
I just felt I had to tell you how I felt. Here’s hoping next season can be better!
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]