Somebody At Newcastle United Needs To Control The Message
What a summer so far.
At the end of last season, there was a deep sigh of relief that we stayed in the Premier League and that meant our squad wouldn’t get decimated, we’d take the opportunity to learn from a tough year and build on that for next season. There was a promise to build the squad, add 4 or 5 new faces, get back to a team fit to face the new season.
Well that’s what we read into it, there was no official communication, just passages from Pardew here and there. After all, there is no communication strategy at Newcastle United, just a deafening silence and the odd soundbite from a manager who’s pleading rather than stating fact.
I’m sure we used to have control over media communication, messages to fans, messages to press etc.
There used to be some sense of order, now there seems only chaos.
Joe Kinnear answers only to Mike Ashley, who really doesn’t give a ****.
That leaves our club in the hands of a complete idiot.
Let’s think back to when Llambias went and Joe Kinnear came in – that was around 3 weeks before everyone returned to work. Who was there to advise Kinnear on how to handle the media at that point?
What should have happened was this.
• Joe gets the job and is sat down with our Head Of Media and advised that there is a media silence over this until Pardew returns from holiday
• Joe states, can’t do that – got my own holiday planned for then
• Head Of Media says – ok, bad timing – this is when we need to be pulling together getting the squad ready for the new season
• Joe says well, got 2 weeks in Scunthorpe already booked, Caravan is sorted and I’m taking the family, can’t be done
• Head Of Media says ok, well you’re a millionaire Joe, how about cancelling that holiday, taking 2 weeks now and flying off somewhere, keep quiet on the Job front, and when you get back we’ll all sit down together as a united front and explain to the media that this is your new role, how you and Alan will work together from today, we’ll get you and Alan in front of the Press, and then from that we can get down to work on getting the team together without interruption and in a totally professional manner
• Joe – Yeah, but the Caravan is booked and I don’t need to listen to you, I’m off to create chaos and make Newcastle look like a complete shambles, then when we need to sign players, I’ll be in Scunthorpe, and we’ll be a laughing stock
• Fair enough
Oh and now we have the Media making up stories about our players not wearing shirts and wanting away.
Over to the Head Of Media to make a statement of fact and nip this in the bud?
• The Cisse story is a non starter – he is training alone in the Gym as this is a standard return to work regime, fitness tests etc before anything else
• Yes Cisse is refusing to play in a Wonga Shirt and is for sale at £20 million
(I would have thought that the potential issues may have been discussed as part of pulling a deal together, common sense, but hey what would I know)
Basically, all we need is someone who is controlling the flow of communication, otherwise there will always be chaos – especially when the top of the tree is an idiot.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]