Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Must We Keep Alan Pardew At All Costs?

8 years ago
Share

Stability. A word we often hear as Newcastle fans. But what is it?

Many people think it is continuing with the same manager for many years. They’re right; but only partially.

Stability is this, but it has to be with the right man in charge. Manchester United, for example, are the prime example of real stability. My argument, however, is that stability is not possible unless the right man is in charge. Now, you may say that Alan Pardew is this man; but I would disagree.

Newcastle United have just had one of the worst weeks in recent times. It was a positive start; a last minute Cisse goal giving them a 1-0 win over Fulham. Then Thursday, the Magpies were eliminated from the Europa League, after a heart-breaking 1-1 draw with SL Benfica at St James’ – resulting in a 4-2 aggregate defeat. The performance was good, as was the effort.

Everyone went into last Sunday’s Tyne-Wear derby in confident mood; everyone I spoke to at the ground on Sunday predicted a Newcastle victory. However, what was about to happen on the pitch would shock the whole stadium. United were crushed by their fiercest of rivals, on their own patch. Goals from Sessegnon, Johnson and Vaughan gave Sunderland a massive 3-0 victory and their first win at St James’ Park since the turn of the millennium. Newcastle fans left feeling frustrated and angry; especially after Alan Pardew’s press conference.

Newcastle’s manager claimed that ‘fatigue’, ‘refereeing decisions’ and a ‘lack of time to prepare’ cost his team. Those things may be true but I would say they contributed to about 20% of our downfall. The other 80%, Pardew failed to mention. And it’s no surprise; they were mainly down to him (You wouldn’t expect an arrogant man to admit his own mistakes).

The tactics, team selection and positioning all have to be looked at. Where was Haidara? On the bench is the answer, after being robbed of a place by out of position Jonas Gutierrez, who was at fault for two of Sunderland’s goals. Why was Cabaye so deep? Why was Sissoko on the wing? Why did we play hoof-ball when so many talented footballers were on the pitch? The answer to all of these questions; Alan Pardew.

It’s not just last Sunday that makes me question Pardew. Yes, we’ve had injuries and the new signings only arrived in January. But the tactics this season, in general, have been very poor (Reading springs to mind!). Even when we’ve had a fully fit team, we’ve produced some dismal performances, typified by Sunday’s debacle. And don’t get me started on set pieces… no goal from a corner since Wolves away last season! Do we actually train? Funnily enough, the answer is no – Newcastle players have had both Monday and Wednesday off this week.

For all these reasons, I feel that Pardew can’t take us forward. With only four games left, sacking him now probably isn’t an option. We just have to hope we have enough to stay in the Premier League. However, in the Summer, we need a new manager. Someone to take the club forward.

And then, maybe, just maybe, we can achieve true stability; with the right manager.

New issue of The Mag out now in north east newsagents, orĀ order online now for single copies and subscriptions.

[latest_issue]

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2020 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks