Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

Match Reports

Wigan v Newcastle United – Match Report

9 years ago

Wigan 2 Newcastle United 1 (Santon 72)

Sunday 17 March 2013 4pm
Match Highlights Here

The referee had a pretty decent match, apart from two massive decisions that went against Newcastle.

Newcastle had started well and were knocking the ball around nicely, only to be rocked back by a goal that was poorly defended. Haidara, already on for Debuchy (Santon moving over to the right) who had limped off, allowed McManaman to cross and Santon was caught out by the flight of the ball and didn’t clear, allowing Beausejour to knock it home from eight yards out.

Much worse was to follow four minutes later when an x-rated foul by McManaman on Haidara, left him writhing in agony, the replacement left-back stretchered off after a significant delay.

A sending off wouldn’t have been a consolation for such a shocking tackle and seemingly serious injury, but amazingly the referee didn’t even give a free-kick, never mind a red card.

The only explanation can be that he and his fellow officials were unsighted and Mark Halsey won’t have enjoyed watching the replays. It will be interesting to see what is done retrospectively.

So twenty odd minutes gone and Newcastle have already lost two full-backs, Jonas dropping to left-back as Perch comes into midfield.

The rest of the first half drifted by as that old feeling of injustice got under your skin and Newcastle struggled to recover from the goal and injuries. In fact things could have been worse as Wigan had the upper hand and only a save by Elliot and saving tackle from Gutierrez averted more goals at the wrong end.

On the stroke of half-time Cisse smashes a chance over the bar just as Perch was going to connect and then John Carver is sent off as he confronts McManaman on his way off the pitch. It would have been interesting to hear Alan Pardew’s half-time chat.

Newcastle looked marginally better second half but an organised and motivated home side were making it difficult to carve out clear opportunities, Cisse getting nowhere near with a couple of half chances.

With 67 minutes on the clock, Shola replaces Gouffran and Newcastle go for it with three at the back.

Five minutes later it pays off as Santon is in an advanced position on the right where Cisse’s flick finds him, the Italian full-back steadying himself before drilling a low shot through the defender’s legs and into the bottom corner.

As often happens the momentum then swung the way of the scoring team and in a very open last twenty minutes United had the edge and Shola’s low cross was met with a decent flick by Cisse from a very difficult angle, just falling the wrong side of the post.

Then with injury time approaching there is insult added to injury, a Wigan corner is met by the the hand of the first home player who helps it into the middle. A scramble follows with Kone eventually turning the ball into the net,

The home side had edged the match but two poor refereeing decisions allowed them to make it count.

Wigan: Joel, Scharner, Alcaraz, Figueroa, Boyce, Gomez, McCarthy, Beausejour, McManaman, Kone, Maloney

Newcastle United: Elliot, Debuchy (Haidara 13 (Perch 27)), Taylor, Mapou, Santon, Tiote, Gutierrez, Marveaux, Sissoko, Gouffran (Shola 67), Cisse

Unused Subs: Harper, Anita, Gosling, Obertan, Shola

Ref: Mark Halsey


If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2022 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks