Newcastle United – Is It So Complicated?
Leaving aside the young players yet to have much of a chance, I look at players in these three ways:
- Players who I think are capable of holding their own in any Premier League team.
- Players who have ability and could potentially prove long-term first team players.
- Players who have to play at their very best to earn their place week to week.
This is how I see our current squad playing out –
- Tiote, Cabaye, Krul, Ba, Coloccini, Steven Taylor.
- Gutierrez, Ben Arfa, Santon, Obertan, Gosling, Marveaux
- Williamson, Simpson, Best, Guthrie, Harper
It might seem harsh to some but surely we’ve seen enough of (Ryan) Taylor, Shola, Lovenkrands, Smith and Perch to know that they aren’t good enough?
When it comes to each transfer window it is surely a no brainer that you have to keep your category (1) players and try to build on that group with incoming players, they then help the category (2) players to be better players.
If it goes the other way and you regularly lose category (1) players then you only go in one direction.
Who do you rate?
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]