Returning Players = No New NUFC Signings

YOHAN_CABAYE_POPPY_SHIRT_NUFCWhen Alan Pardew talks so regularly about our better players coming back to fitness, am I the only one whose heart sinks?

We are now getting almost daily updates and some days players are very likely to be back for Norwich (or whatever the next game is) and then the next day they might need a bit longer but such and such could be ready for Norwich…

I can’t help but feel that these public utterances are largely to do with trying to put a positive spin on Newcastle’s dire situation and each time Alan Pardew says ‘When I have all my big players back…’ it makes the likelihood of new signings look more and more unlikely.

(Send in your letters/articles to contribute@themag.co.uk)

Every manager could talk about if only he had his best eleven available but in the real world it is rare for everybody to be fit at the same time and so it is down you deal with it and what you put in place to deal with it.

You can’t predict who will get injured and when, it is beyond your control, what isn’t beyond your control though is to have players in place who can come inn and do a decent job when those injuries come along.

Newcastle do not have those players with very very few exceptions, so it is a total red herring to suggest that players becoming available again makes one bit of difference to the obvious, we need more players who are capable of playing in the first team, now.

Unfortunately, I can hear all too well in May something along the lines of ‘If only I’d had my big players available…’.

Subscribe now to our great magazine from only £23, bringing you the INDEPENDENT view for the last 25 years, new issue out on Saturday.

The Mag, Issue 289, 5 April 2014, Newcastle United Magazine, NUFC

The latest issue of The Mag is available now!

Available online here in The Mag Shop and in newsagents throughout the North East for only £3!

Why not subscribe? Subscriptions start from only £23. Never miss an issue and delivery direct to your door worldwide.

17 Responses to “Returning Players = No New NUFC Signings”

1. Tone Army

Mick Lowes was on talk sport lastnight saying he had inside info that we were in talks with more than 2 players..

• Tone Army

why would be looking to sign another RB? what is your source for that info?, we already have 5 or 6 players who are capable of playing there, I know we have signed Debuchy but I would still try and extend Simpsons contract & keep him as a squad player..

2. Tone Army

More than 2 he said, also I cannot find a link to any rumour as yet so we will have to wait and see..
    Wonder if Danny Graham is on the radar, ticks most boxes, is a local lad & a toon fan.

3. Tone Army

Sissoko is a name that has been mentioned previously, also Diame from west ham. either or both of those would be great business.

4. brin mcardle

its all a joke…nothing will happen..even when we sign a player-its only coz we think we will get rid of Danny Simpson(he cant cross the ball) but a crackin pro who has never let us down and on pathetic wages-pay the lad his money
    Flog Obertan -seriously one of the worst players in a Newcastle shirt(and i know there has been afew)

5. Dave2104

All this smoke screen. Pardew is a puppet and a useless one at that. Ashley decides and usually that means no more signings. 2 years running our best goal scorer goes and we need a centre half! Going down, going down…

• BigJB147

He’s better than the likes of Shola, Ranger, Sammi etc and would therefore improve the squad if not necessarily the first 11.

6. BigJB147

We already have our replacement for Ba. I’m convinced the sole reason we signed Papiss Cisse last January was because we thought Ba was away which didn’t happen, much in the same way that I reckon Anita was signed because we thought Tiote would do one. Remember ‘nil capital outlay’, ’11 purples’ etc. Now Ba’s away, our 11 purples are Krul, Debuchy, Steven Taylor, Coloccini, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Anita, Ben Arfa, Cisse and Jonas. Beyond that, the only players really challenging for a start are Marveaux and Shola. Everyone elses position is nailed on and if we do see anyone comes though the doors before January one of the above will be sold to do so

• tbpierrot

Good analysis, I’m confident that Bigirimana can also challenge for a start – due in large part to Tiote’s recent inconsistency – and obviously we need cover for his inevitable suspensions, and Bigirimana has certainly been a pleasant surprise for me, he was the summer signing I expected least from – not that I knew much about him in all honesty.

7. brin mcardle

but surely not the answer for a top 5 side…and that is what we should be…we were bloody superb last year

8. brin mcardle

i cant believe people are so(easygoing) about the callous stupidity of Ashley and Pardew..we are a big club and people seem happy with small time players and happily seeing players go to pay for others why,why