An exclusive has claimed that Newcastle have offered £10m for Sheyi Ojo.

The report saying that after being knocked back on a loan deal, Rafa Benitez has contacted Jurgen Klopp to make the offer for the 20 year old winger.

I know this is a transfer market full of surprises but £10m for a player who has so little experience and has achieved next to nothing, looks dubious in the extreme (read below what I wrote when Newcastle were first linked with Sheyi Ojo three weeks ago)..

The exclusive is from The Sun who also don’t have the greatest success rate with such transfer ‘exclusives’, especially where Newcastle are concerned.

However, as time moves on and Newcastle don’t add further signings, you do begin to wonder just which players will be ‘gettable’, considering the club’s apparent unwillingness to accept what level of transfer fees and wages need to be offered to land players this summer.

One thing the Sun ‘exclusive did get right was when they said Ojo hadn’t been included in the Liverpool squad that has travelled to Asia.

The newspaper says it is because of Newcastle’s offer but with their massive squad and only 25 places, it is doubtful whether he would have been included in any circumstances. A host of other bigger names were also left out and the likes of Lucas Leiva and Lazar Markovic are expected to shortly confirm moves, though not to Newcastle obviously…

The media elsewhere claim that Sheyi Ojo will indeed move but that it will be a loan deal to Middlesbrough…which sounds a little more likely than a £10m permanent move to Newcastle or anywhere else.

The Mag – 28 June 2017:

On Wednesday night Newcastle are reported to be in talks with Liverpool over a deal for Sheyi Ojo.

The Independent earlier said that Newcastle were ‘leading the race’ ahead of Burnley and Middlesbrough, with the Chronicle then claiming as fact that talks have now started between the two clubs.

As part of a growing trend of players being bought ever younger, six years ago Liverpool fought off Chelsea amongst others, to land Sheyi Ojo as a 14 year old from MK Dons for a reported £2m fee.

As a 17 year old he made the bench twice (but didn’t get on the pitch)  for Liverpool in the Premier League in 2014/15, before heading off to Wigan for a half season loan.

The young left winger didn’t score any goals as he started seven Championship games and came off the bench twice.

Then in August 2015 it was straight off to another second tier club for a half season loan, starting five league matches and coming off the bench 12 times for Wolves, scoring two goals.

Recalled to Liverpool in January 2016, Ojo managed some Premier League football, with five starts and three sub appearances but no goals.

The season just ended saw the Liverpool player ruled out early on with a back injury but once back fit he didn’t even make the bench once in the Premier League, his involvement restricted to one start and one sub appearance in the FA Cup.

At international level, Sheyi Ojo has played at all levels up to Under 20s for England.

He was part of the squad that this summer lifted the Under 20s World Cup in South Korea.

Freddie Woodman is uncontested number one for England at that level, whilst Adam Armstrong tends to start pretty much every other game and come off the bench.

In comparison, the 20 year old Liverpool wideman is just finding his feet at that level and was used a few times as a sub in South Korea, as well as one start against Guinea in a group match where England made a number of changes and were expected to win easily.

Don’t want to be negative about any potential signing but difficult to see why Newcastle would be looking at a player with such limited first team football as Sheyi Ojo has had. Both Freddie Woodman and Adam Armstrong would arguably be more ready to play first team football this coming season.

Newcastle’s only summer signing so far is Christian Atsu and I see him as a winger who is a squad player, with somebody like Ojo way behind him.

I would bow to Rafa’s opinion obviously if he thought the Liverpool player has something to offer at Newcastle this coming season but on all available evidence, it is hard to see him making much/any impact if used in the Premier League this coming season.

Newcastle surely need signings a few levels above this?



  • Peter

    I wouldn’t necessarily believe anything you read in the S*n…..

    • Mumbles

      If you’re reading the sun, you’ve already made a fundamental mistake

  • MichaelMaximusMoose

    it’s becoming clear that Newcastle are unlikely to recruit the players Rafa requested
    his list is obviously down the Toilet

    Viva La Rafalution

  • I think the situation is that we don’t have enough homegrown players at the club and we’re desperate to sign a few youngsters who can challenge the first team, but fit the homegrown status. We should definitely be moving for Ross Barkley and McCarthy to end our midfield woes.
    Just pay 30 for Barkley and 20 for McCarthy in a double swoop. I say that’s all the midfield players we need if they can pass the medical that is.

    • Paul Patterson

      We won’t be paying £30m for anyone I’m afraid ..

      • Problem is we rate a few players for 30m, but you go ask the clubs and they want 50 at least. You rate a player 10m and they ask 25, unless they have to sell or player wants to leave we will not get a fair price for them.

    • 1957

      Unless Everton have zero interest between now and the end of the season no one will get Barkley for £30m given Swansea want £45m for Sigurdsson

    • MichaelMaximusMoose

      i wouldnt give you 10 mill for an Everton reserve like McCarthy

      • It’s a player Rafa wants and I think he can fully flourish here. You must understand that clubs who don’t want to sell their players insist buy-out clauses are met and those are beyond silly. We must look for players who want game time and have abilities, but are unsettled or fed-up with old clubs.

  • Thefootballerwhocouldfly

    Fake news #Don’tBuyTheSun

  • TheFatController

    Usually at this time in a window, the talk is of the whole transfer market awaiting the big money mines to complete and then things filter down.

    That would be starting with Sigurdsson going for £40m, Barkley leaving for £50m, and then Swansea buy and clubs start spending money and letting players go for various reasons.

    However, not much talk of this domino effect this season. Just talk of self righteous anger that we haven’t got 8 players to top the ‘pay whatever is asked by the seller’ table.

    I’ll stick with domino effect rather than Charnley only wanting to pay £5m for anyone despite his record on wijnaldum mitro thauvin Townsend Shelvey Gayle Ritchie lejeunes ….

  • Toonbadger

    FACT:I wouldn`t wipe my R`ce on the Currant bun. FACT: No bid has been made. FACT: It`s a made up story to get us Geordies salivating in the hope of actually getting some decent players “across the line” so that some of us will buy the rag.
    FACT: that kind of Shiite don`t work on me.

  • Oooh bobbi fleckman

    Almost certainly leaked to get Norwich jittery