Newcastle United have been linked with Ryad Boudebouz as far back as 2013.

In January, Newcastle were reported to have approached Montpellier but were knocked back.

The French club claimed to have said they wanted to keep the playmaker until the end of the season to ensure they weren’t relegated, as well as ensuring a better price in the summer transfer market.

Then earlier this month (see below), Canal+ reported that their information was that Newcastle had again approached Montpellier and were in talks.

The Ligue 1 club have made clear they would be prepared to sell Ryad Boudebouz but only if someone offers their 15m euros (approx £13.2m) asking price.

However, the club’s President has now come out and said they haven’t had a single concrete offer for the player, from Newcastle or anybody else.

Montpellier President Louis Nicollin:

“Only one player was leaving – Ryad Boudebouz.

“In the last month I have not received a single proposal.

“If he stays, nobody will complain.”

From The Mag – 10 June 2017:

Newcastle United have entered talks this weekend with Montpellier for the transfer of Ryad Boudebouz according to reports on Saturday morning.

Over in France, Canal+ have said that their information is that Newcastle are now having talks with the French club to try and finalise a deal for the playmaker.

Ryad Boudebouz is a bit of a Ligue 1 veteran when it comes to being linked with Newcastle United, he was first named over four years ago as a player who NUFC were allegedly interested in.

The Algerian international (came on as a sub on Tuesday as Algeria beat Guinea 2-1) was then at Sochaux back in 2013, before moving on to Bastia, then finally Montpellier two summers ago.

Like every other transfer story you treat this one with caution until proved otherwise but it is feasible that there could be genuine interest from Newcastle on this one.

This past (2016/17) season saw the playmaker, score 11 goals and grab nine assists in 33 Ligue 1 starts for Montpellier, with two goals and 11 assists the previous (2015/16) season. With 70 Ligue 1 starts (pus one as sub) for Montpellier, to be involved in 33 league goals is impressive, especially for a struggling side.

Montpellier paid just over £1m to Bastia in 2015 and the 27 year old was linked with a Newcastle move as recently as the January 2017 transfer window.

However, the French media claimed that Montpellier had made clear to  Newcastle that they intended to keep Ryad Boudebouz until the end of the season, to both ensure they wouldn’t be relegated and potentially get a much better price in the summer transfer window.

No reminders needed I guess that the last two signings from Montpellier didn’t work out too well – Mapou Yangia-Mbiwa and Remy Cabella.

Maybe Ryad Boudebouz could be the one to buck the trend, if there is substance to the transfer story.