Fernando is set to become a Newcastle United player according to reports on Thursday morning.

Newcastle’s interest was first revealed six weeks ago (see below) when Rafa Benitez met with Manchester City’s Director of Football, Txiki Begiristain, to discuss various players.

The main two Rafa wanted to talk about at the time, were claimed to be Fernando and French defender Eliaquim Mangala.

There are some claims elsewhere that Newcastle are still interested in Mangala but he appears set to sign for Lyon.

However, midfielder Fernando is set to sign for Newcastle, with only the price needing to be finalised according to The Sun.

Signed from Porto for £12m in 2014, Fernando turns 30 in July and whilst Manchester City are said to be holding out for £8m, Rafa Benitez is trying to get him for £5m. Any fee in that region would surely be acceptable to Newcastle if the manager wants him, as Rafa would clearly be seeing Fernando as somebody to go straight into his first team.

Much has been made of Rafa wanting experienced players to help with this step up to the Premier League and the unwanted midfielder definitely ticks that box.

From The Mag – 11 May 2017:

Rafa Benitez has met up with Manchester City Director of Football, Txiki Begiristain, to discuss two possible summer transfers, according to reports this morning.

In an ideal world, the Newcastle boss was always going to want a number of players with Premier League experience to help give a firm base for a return to the top tier.

The two players in question are Brazilian midfielder Fernando and Eliaquim Mangala, the French defender.

The report in The Mail says that the United boss is interested in a number of players Manchester City might make available this summer – but that these initial talks have concerned Mangala and Fernando.

As always, Manchester City have more players than they know what to do with and both these alleged Newcastle targets were signed in summer 2014 well before Pep Guardiola took over.

French international Mangala is now 26 and has spent this season on loan at Valencia where he has made 28 La Liga starts so far, the Spanish side said to be not interested in triggering the option to make the move permanent.

With no Champions League football next season and the resulting finances, little surprise that the La Liga team (currently 13th) aren’t buying Mangala.

He cost around £35m three years ago when arriving from Porto and whilst any fee would be well below that figure, it would still be a massive amount for a Spanish club relying on the relatively meagre TV deal for most La Liga clubs.

Mangala made 47 Premier League starts in his first two years at Man City and will be hoping to make a return to the French national squad ahead of the World Cup in Russia. He was a squad member at the 2016 Euro Finals making one sub appearance in the 5-2 win over Iceland but has only featured on the bench for France once (November 2016) since then.

As for Fernando, he turns 30 in July and is very much on the sidelines at the Etihad, starting only five Premier League games this season and none since December.

With only three sub appearances in the league this calendar year, there is clearly no future for the Brazilian, as Guardiola is sure to make further massive investment in the squad this summer, as they face a struggle to even qualify for the Champions League this season.

Making 22 Premier League starts in his first season at Manchester City and then 17 last year, his influence has faded with time at the club.

He also was signed from Porto in summer 2014 but for a much lower £12m fee, almost a snip where Man City are concerned.

With only four Premier League goals in his three seasons in the Premier League, any potential interest in Fernando wouldn’t be as a creator/scorer of goals – more as possibly playing alongside the likes of Jonjo Shelvey.

As always, sorting out what is credible in these media reports is always a tricky one, especially as the profile of many reported Newcastle United targets is going to be players at Premier League clubs who are currently struggling for regular football.



  • Leazes Ender

    There was something in the air…..

    • Wor Lass

      Well, we`ve had a few Dancing Queens in our time – hang on ….. I might need to rephrase that ……!

  • magpie 48

    This is typical Newcastle we will probably miss him over a million or two pounds.

    • Geordie-7676

      Would you pay £20 for a Big Mac when you knows its only worth 4 quid?

      • Yeah weekes

        no, but i’d pay £5 if I was starving.
        We’ve been starved since Scott Parker.

  • Phil K

    So is he any good ? We NEED a David Batty kind of defensive midfielder

    • Oooh bobbi fleckman

      I don’t think Batty was needed when we got him, he was a step backwards from Clarky.

      Fernando is a tidy passer who doesn’t lose it but all you can say is that he’ll allow Jon jo to push further up the pitch and Rafa will have Hayden in there providing protection for the back 4. It’s not going to be exciting.

      • Damon Horner

        Definitely one who’ll get stick for lack of goals and assists no doubt.

  • TheNutJob

    the Rafalutions about to start lads

    • TheNutJob

      isn`t it, Leazes has waited a long time for it

  • MadMag83

    I believe when I see it happen.

  • Alreet

    Second signing????? Are we still classing atsu as number 1?

    Be a good buy but no more that 5 mil for a 30 year old. Provide a good backup and competition for hayden.

  • Biggs Darklighter

    He’s an improvement on Colback anyway

  • Phil K

    Even fans who said “Be patient” are now losing patience and beginning to suspect what we always feared with Ashley