Adrian Faija has confirmed that it is between Newcastle United and Chelsea as to who signs Willy Caballero.

The goalkeeper’s agent says that the rumours of an offer from Boca Juniors are untrue but that the outgoing Manchester City keeper has deals from Chelsea and Newcastle to consider.

The beginning of the month (see below) saw the reliable George Caulkin of The Times confirm Rafa Benitez’ interest in signing Willy Caballero, who will be a free agent at the end of the month.

The agent saying that it is now a choice between going to Stamford Bridge as number two to Courtois, or almost certain first choice at St James Park.

It is extremely unlikely that Boca Juniors would get anywhere close to the wages the Premier League clubs can offer, even if they come in with a deal.

Caballero’s agent summed up the decision his client has to make in a rather unusual way, saying ‘Newcastle is cold but pretty and the beaches in Brighton are beautiful as well and easily accessible from London (Chelsea)’.

Well if it comes to beaches, surely Newcastle can be the only winner. The beautiful golden sand of Tynemouth, Whitley Bay and Bamburgh v the dodgy pebbles of Brighton!

It has been a running ironic joke on social media for Newcastle fans to post images of the Tyne bridges to entice new signings but maybe now we should star focusing on the beaches…

Adrian Faija speaking to Goal – 17 June 2017::

“We have some offers from England, he wants to stay in England.

“Newcastle is cold but pretty and the beaches in Brighton are beautiful as well and easily accessible from London (Chelsea).

“There isn’t an offer from Boca. To analyse it, first, we need an offer. It needs be real first…”

The Mag – 2 June 2017:

Manchester City announced last week that Gael Clichy, Bacary Sagna, Jesus Navas and Willy Caballero would all leave the club when their contracts conclude at the end of June.

When this news came out, not surprisingly Newcastle were one of the clubs linked loosely with potentially picking up one or more of these soon to be free agents.

After the season ended Rafa Benitez had a meeting with Manchester City Director of Football, Txiki Begiristain, ostensibly to discuss Fernando and Eliaquim Mangala, but the discussions were said to have involved other Man City players as well.

Now, the usually very reliable George Caulkin who covers Newcastle United for The Times, says that Willy Caballero is a player that Rafa Benitez is considering making a move for.

Caulkin says that Rafa wants to bring in an experienced keeper and that he has turned to the Argentine 35 year old after missing out on Pepe Reina. The Spanish keeper turns 35 in August and whilst Reina’s agent said on Thursday that the player had decided to stay at Napoli to see out the last year of his contract, George Caulkin states that the fact Napoli were demanding a significant fee for the mature goalkeeper was also a massive barrier to any deal to Newcastle happening.

Caballero himself turns 36 in September but could prove real value for money having picked up eight clean sheets and only conceded 15 goals in his 20 domestic starts last season. The keeper started 25 games in all for Man City in the last campaign with 16 of them in the Premier League.

Willy Caballero joined for £7m from Malaga in summer 2014 and the Argentine keeper was given plenty games by Pep Guardiola this past season, after having been just used as cover (five Premier League starts for Man City in the previous two years).

As always, Manchester City have more players than they know what to do with and clearly Guardiola is having to clear the decks to now bring in more players of his own choosing.

Newcastle United have already stated that the transfer strategy will be one that will include both permanent signings such as Christian Atsu who completed his move on Wednesday, as well as loan deals.

In advance of meeting Mike Ashley, Rafa Benitez had stated that rather than the discussions simply being about how much money he would have to spend, instead he wanted to present a vision of how he could take the club forward and wanted Ashley to buy into that.

It isn’t inconceivable that a significant part of that vision, certainly in the short-term, may well have been making signings of players who previously wouldn’t have been considered by the owner. The likes of Caballero would definitely be an asset to Newcastle as a shorter term proposition, even though he will be on significantly higher wages than most of Newcastle’s current squad.



  • Kev-82

    Please let this be rumour. He’s not a bad keeper but given his age I don’t see the point, he’s no improvement on what we’ve got and will only push the likes of Woodman further out. I have full faith in Darlow with Elliott backing up and really don’t see keeper as a position we need to recruit this year.

    • 1957

      It was the only position I felt comfortable with not strengthening, the ones we have are more than good enough to do a job in the PL, I agree he is probably no improvement on the current keepers at the club

    • Clarko

      I think the point is to move Sels and Krul out, while either loaning Woodman out and keeping Darlow or keeping Woodman and selling Darlow. Benitez will bring in a senior goalkeeper (Caballero or Reina) as a starting keeper and will have Elliot and Woodman/Darlow as backup until Woodman is “ready” to start. Benitez wants a short term (old), first choice keeper.

      • Kev-82

        Clarko – That’s all well and good if you’re bringing in better than what we’ve already got, I don’t think Caballero is.

        • Clarko

          You don’t think Caballero, the Manchester City goalkeeper, who has made 23 appearances in the Premier League, who has made 15 appearances in the Champions League, who has made 117 appearances in La Liga, who was preferred ahead of Hart and later Bravo by Guardiola is better than Darlow?

          • Kev-82

            Clarko – No I don’t. Would almost be as pointless a signing as Sels was last year.

          • Clarko

            Sels cost Newcastle £5.61m and had never played in England let alone in the Premier League. Caballero is a free agent and has experience in the Premier League and the Champions League. Completely different circumstances.

          • Phil K

            How often did Caballero get blamed for Man City defeats ? Often. How often was he the “cause” of victories. Not once that I’m aware of. Why do you think Man City are getting him out, for God’s sake ?

          • Clarko

            Can you link me somewhere that provides evidence of what you’re suggesting?

          • Phil K

            Yes he is. But that hardly makes him a good signing at 34. Sels is no worse, and Elliot is actually a BETTER keeper

          • Clarko

            You’re being ridiculous.

  • Allan Kidd

    Hope he comes, the others aren’t up to Premier League, for one reason or another.

    • Phil K

      HE isn’t up to Prem standard. He’s no better than Sels. Worse in many ways. Better than Darlow, yes – NOT better than Elliot

  • TheNutJob

    1 of his stats over a period of 4 games last season was 7 shots on target saves, nil

  • Phil K

    God almighty I’d prefer to keep Sels than have Caballero

  • Viru leckworth

    Has his agent ever been to the north east – or Brighton for that matter?