Sam Allardyce looks to have put the final nail in the coffin of any hopes of Andros Townsend returning to Tyneside this month.

It had been widely reported that negotiations between Crystal Palace and Newcastle were continuing about a possible deal for the winger, who had been subbed in all four Premier League games by Sam Allardyce, before being dropped last weekend.

The reports stated that Newcastle were looking for an initial loan deal with the potential of a permanent one, whilst Crystal Palace were said to want to sell him in order to raise money so Allardyce could bring in his own players.

With Patrick van Aanholt forcing a transfer to Palace from the Mackems for an eye-popping £14m, you can see why Fat Sam might need all the cash he can lay his hands on.

Asked on Friday morning whether Palace had received any offer from Newcastle for Andros Townsend, Sam Allardyce responded by saying he hadn’t had any cash offer for Townsend, or indeed any player.

However, he did confirm that clubs had asked to loan Andros Townsend and other Palace players but he didn’t see why they should help other clubs with loan deals, when he had been knocked back by others when trying to bring loan players to Selhurst Park.

Sam Allardyce:

“We have had nothing (transfer bids) to do with Andros Townsend.

“Nobody has bid for anybody at the club at the moment.

“A few clubs have asked about loans, but as we can’t get a loan, I don’t see why we should loan anyone at this stage.

“So we have said no to those at the moment.”