Newcastle United are interested in taking Modou Barrow to St James Park according to reports on Monday.

The Swansea winger/attacking player is said to be surplus to requirements at Swansea, with new manager Paul Clement not having played Barrow since his recent appointment and the winger now said to be carrying a ‘knock’.

The Birmingham Mail are the ones who say that their information is that Newcastle have registered their interest in Modou Barrow, this information coming on the back of their main story which reports that Steve Bruce is trying to take him to Aston Villa.

The West Midlands based newspaper states that the Swansea player has been told that he can leave Wales this month if somebody puts the money down.

Barrow is reported to have a £5m release clause and I have to admit, he has looked a decent player when I have seen him play in the past.

I had assumed that he’d come through their youth system but turns out the 24 year old was signed for just under £2m from Swedish club Ostersunds FK two years ago.

Since then he has played 44 league matches for Swansea (18 starts, 26 from the bench) and has one goal and five assists.

Newcastle of course have been linked with any number of players but Rafa Benitez has admitted that he has a number of options that he can go for.

Whether Modou Barrow is part of this pecking order of potential signings is unknown and firstly he would have to be at least an improvement on the options Rafa has at this moment in time, or offer something a little different.