Both local and national media reported a move for Brendan Galloway to Newcastle as being a done deal a fortnight ago.

Then we were told it was being held up as the blue scousers wanted to bring in another defender before they’d allow Galloway to go out on loan.

A hold-up in Lamine Kone moving from Sunderland to Goodison Park then supposedly delaying the Newcastle loan deal further.

Monday has seen Everton officially announce that Brendan Galloway has now gone out on a year long loan but to West Brom, not Newcastle.

Asked about transfer targets on Friday, Rafa Benitez said his biggest problem was; “…you cannot sign the players that maybe you wanted to sign two weeks ago – because the Premier League clubs were in the middle.”

Official Everton Announcement Monday 22 August:

‘Brendan Galloway has joined West Bromwich Albion on a season-long loan deal.

The defender has passed his medical at the Hawthorns and trained with his new teammates for the first time on Monday afternoon.

Galloway signed for Everton from MK Dons in the summer of 2014 and has so far made 21 appearances for the Blues.

The 20-year-old becomes the fourth Everton player to go out on loan, joining Luke Garbutt, Conor Grant and Russell Griffiths who have moved to Wigan Athletic, Ipswich Town and Cheltenham Town respectively.’

Rafa Benitez Friday 19 August:

Have your transfer targets changed after watching the games so far?’

“No, in terms of the idea about the players and what we needed, it is more or less the same. 

“The difference now is that you cannot sign the players that maybe you wanted to sign two weeks ago – because the Premier League clubs were in the middle.”