Newcastle United were linked with a move for Sheffield Wednesday striker Fernando Forestieri in pre-season.
Then last week amid stories of ongoing unrest behind the scenes at Hillsborough regarding the 26 year old Argentine forward, Newcastle were once again one of the clubs linked with the player.
Owls boss Carlos Carvalhal has insisted that Sheffield Wednesday won’t sell the player but the situation appears to have all the hallmarks of what we have now with Moussa Sissoko at St James Park.
Fernando Forestieri had attempted to opt out of playing on the opening weekend but was ‘persuaded’ to start, ending up scoring the winner against Villa.
This weekend Carvalhal has revealed that this weekend Forestieri did the same again and this time missed the 0-0 draw at Norwich, having effectively gone on strike.
Whilst Moussa Sissoko hasn’t gone that far, as yet, he has surely made his position at Newcastle impossible, the past week seeing yet more interviews where he declares he has to get away from Newcastle – this leading to some angry words and finger pointing when fans spotted him in the crowd at St James Park on Saturday.
Monday morning has seen the Sheffield Star reveal that Fernando Forestieri is now training by himself now, so it looks now as though he must be very likely to leave, but whether that means any possibility of Newcastle moving for him remains to be seen.
With Yohan Cabaye having previously gone on strike to get a move and Sissoko’s current behaviour, you would have to wonder at the wisdom of any interest in the player, just as Rafa Benitez is trying to clear the club of all the chancers that have been stockpiled in recent years.
Forestieri turns 27 in January and until last season’s 15 Championship goals, he had never before managed double figure league goals in a season.
Carlos Carvalhal talking about Fernando Forestieri this weekend:
“He came up to me before that game and said he wanted a chat, he told me he didn’t want to play against Villa but we talked it through and he had a change of mind and ended up scoring our winner.
“We then trained with Fernando as usual, preparing for the Norwich game, and then he spoke to me again and said he didn’t want to play.
“This time he didn’t change his mind and we had to do without him.
“Obviously it’s very disappointing and now we will open up the usual process when something like this happens.
“But it’s not a problem for me because Fernando is under contract at this club and the Chairman has said he won’t be selling anyone.
“He is our player and will not be sold and if this happens again, it will be the same situation.”