On Thursday The Times broke the story that Newcastle were in negotiations to sign Achraf Lazaar, then Friday brought news from Italy that an outline five year contract had been agreed with a £3m transfer fee – the only thing left to conclude being agreement on bonus payments, such as the size of a sell-on clause.
Respected Italian journalist Alfredo Pedulla who reported on the Wijnaldum and Mitrovic transfers to Newcastle well before they happened, said that Marseille were one of the clubs who had shown interest before Newcastle’s intervention had blown their bid out of the water.
Now the media in Morocco have confirmed that a deal has been finalised, with journalist Abdellah Aârab publishing an exclusive saying that the 24 year old Morocaan internation left-back is now en route to Tyneside.
A medical is said to be scheduled for today and Achraf Lazaar is set to watch the Newcastle v Brighton match from the stands, just as DeAndre Yedlin did on Tuesday night before completing his move to St James Park.
Achraf Lazaar has five caps for Morocco and has been first choice for Palermo over the course of the past two and a half seasons.
However, the 24 year old was only a substitute when Palermo kicked off their competitive football with a cup game and then on Sunday when they started their Serie A campaign, Lazaar wasn’t named in the matchday squad.