Newcastle loan striker Ivan Toney has been recalled early from his loan spell at Barnsley.
The 19 year old went to the South Yorkshire club on an initial one month loan arrangement, then earlier in December this was extended into January.
However, the injury to Papiss Cisse sustained against Villa, appears to have brought about this change of heart.
Steve McClaren said on Tuesday that they had asked for a second scan on Cisse’s groin injury as the first one proved inconclusive.
You can only imagine that the result of that scan is now in and the news not positive.
However, still a surprise to see Ivan Toney recalled, when United can call on Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ayoze Perez and Siem de Jong – hopefully this doesn’t suggest an injury to one of those three as well.
Newcastle United revealed the Ivan Toney recall in this shortest of official statements.
NEWCASTLE UNITED OFFICIAL STATEMENT
‘Newcastle Recall Toney
Newcastle United have recalled striker Ivan Toney from a loan spell at Barnsley.
The 19 year-old returns to St. James’ Park after scoring twice in eight appearances for the Tykes.’
Barnsley boss Lee Johnson thanked Newcastle United for allowing Ivan Toney to go on loan and says that he understands the need to recall him:
“It’s unfortunate with the situation that’s developed but Newcastle have to protect themselves over the Christmas period.
“I had a nice call from Paul Simpson explaining the situation which I appreciate.
“It’s the same with any loan and unfortunate for ourselves but Ivan is their player.
“He’s done really well and helped himself to a couple of goals. I’d like to place on record our thanks to both Newcastle United and Ivan.”