In the aftermath of the performance against West Ham, Steve McClaren has said that nobody can be sure of keeping their place against Watford.

Asked whether Siem de Jong and Ayoze Perez had done enough to replace somebody on Saturday, the Newcastle Head Coach said ‘Anyone could be a bit worried’ about keeping their place in the team.

McClaren also says that there are no excuses on Saturday.

Newcastle have what can only be termed as a ‘must win’ game against Watford, as they then face last year’s champions Chelsea and this season’s champions elect, Manchester City.

McClaren says that St James Park has to be ‘a fortress’ for Watford’s visit but claims that before Monday night’s defeat, Newcastle had done well in the previous four Premier League matches, although he did add ‘albeit not scored goals and not looked like scoring goals’, since the first day of the season.

Watford have kept three clean sheets already, plus beaten Swansea and got credible draws against both Southampton and Everton.

None of the three promoted clubs are looking to be pushovers but the excuse of a tough set of opening fixtures can hardly be used when Watford come to twon.

Steve McClaren talking to the club’s official TV channel:

“Technically not up to our normal standards, we now need a reaction on Saturday, it (West Ham) has gone, it’s dead, we can make excuses but we don’t want to do that – no excuses Saturday.

“We have to give a reaction and St James has to be a fortress and a difficult place for Watford to come and play.

‘A case for Siem de Jong and Ayoze Perez at the weekend (after their substitute appearances v West Ham)?’

“Well after that, anyone could be a bit worried (about their place in the team), but we will have to regroup and see.

“We have done well for four games, albeit not scored goals and not looked like scoring goals.

“Tonight (v West Ham) we have kind of done exactly the same but conceded two bad goals.”