Thursday brought claims that Newcastle United had made a move for (Super..) Mario Balotelli.

The Italian has been an unmitigated disaster for Liverpool, scoring only one Premier League goal over the course of last season after his £16m move from Milan.

With Roberto Firminio and Danny Ings already signed, plus Christian Benteke likely to join them, he looks surplus to requirements at Anfield and reports claimed that Liverpool are looking to offload him, with allegedly Newcastle interested in loaning the striker for next season – though the scousers are said to prefer offloading him permanently.

Now however, The Express claim that their sources have told them that Steve McClaren has no interest in the Italian international.

Something which will come as a relief to many Newcastle fans, though how much of a relief we’ll only find out when/if they actually sign somebody.


Newcastle have previously gone down the loan route when desperate for strikers/goals, most recently with Facundo Ferreyra last season and then back in 2013/14 when Loic Remy and Luuk de Jong were brought in. Safe to say that the results of that were one big decent success and two unmitigated disasters.

As we all know, Mario Balotelli has his ‘issues’ but for AC Milan he scored 26 goals and only started 37 Serie A matches, so the talent is there.

As was the case with Newcastle United and Loic Remy, sometimes a desperate meeting of needs brings odd combinations together.

With five weeks until the Premier League kicks off again, we all look forward to reading about the strikers Newcastle do want and have signed, rather than confirmation of the ones they don’t want.