Sunday saw yet another episode in the embarrassing treatment of Jonas Gutierrez by Newcastle United.

Fans were surprised to hear that the versatile Argentine player was not in the team and then amazed to discover he wasn’t even on the bench.

After the Tottenham defeat John Carver was asked whether leaving out Jonas Gutierrez from the 18 on duty v Spurs was a selection decision rather than down to ‘other’ reasons:

“Selection, yes,  I have my reasons for that and I don’t want to talk about Gutierrez anymore.”

Claims of a dressing room bust-up between the pair later emerged, another pointer towards John Carver’s appalling man management since he was given the job, going alongide numerous comments made in public criticising individual players.

Today though it is now reported by the Shields Gazette that the player and head coach have kissed and made up this week and Gutierrez is expected to be named in the squad for the Swansea match this weekend.

The club have milked the Jonas Gutierrez cancer recovery angle for all it’s worth since he returned to Tyneside but now Mike Ashley is obviously taking his belated revenge after Jonas spoke out about how badly he was treated by the club as he fought testicular cancer.

In an interview last month Jonas said:

“The post-surgery studies were good and well, I went back to England after being discharged.”

“I returned mid-November and at the beginning to mid-December the manager (Alan Pardew) said I should find myself another club, that it was best… I understand a lot of things about football that, well, that for the directors it is a business, no?

“It is clear that they look after the club’s interests, but I think in a situation like that, you need to consider other things, even more if you see I had been playing for five years before having this problem, I was always playing.”

Medical bills:

 “I never asked for anything. I paid for it (medical bills) because for me, the most important thing, as I told you, was my health.

“If they thought it was OK to do it that way, then it’s OK. I never asked for anything and that’s it. I wasn’t interested.”

The fans:

 “The people from Newcastle, the fans have behaved amazingly, when I go around the city they congratulate me and say I’m looking very well.

“Very emotive words that make you very proud when you hear them. People have been so concerned for me and they’ve sent me those messages.”

What next?:

“I know the situation here (at Newcastle) isn’t the easiest but I’m going to fight to remain here. Time will tell, what I can do, to give the best of me and see how far I can get.”

Jonas himself knew the writing was on the wall in the lead up to the Sunderland match, putting this out on Twitter:

#newcastle vs sunderland

“Maybe the last one, I really enjoy the Derby, 3 points.

“Thanks for all toon army. Always in my heart.”

In that latest derby defeat, Jonas Gutierrez was one of the very few to emerge with any credit, in our fan ratings after the match he was just marginally behind Daryl Janmaat as Newcastle’s best player.

Despite this he was dropped against Liverpool but did ok as sub when replacing the useless Obertan at Anfield.

Then on Sunday he could’t get ahead of any of Sterry, Riviere, Obertan, Ameobi, Armstrong and Kemen on the bench.

No disrespect to the kids who hopefully have a future at the club but I would have had Jonas ahead of all six of them.