In December, Newcastle United defender Jamaal Lascelles appeared in court in Derby to face assault charges.

That appearance was a preliminary hearing and Jamaal Lascelles was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm, which allegedly happened at Lola Lo nightclub on Victoria Street in Derby on April 23.

Lascelles was bought for a combined fee of around £7m along with goalkeeper Karl Darlow in the summer, the pair then immediately loaned back to Nottingham Forest for the whole of this current season.

Lascelles was released on bail but told to next appear at Derby Crown Court on March 11 and a trial date was set for the week beginning April 27.

A trial date had been set for April but last night Lascelles said on Twitter:

“After being wrongly accused and charged with assault, I can now happily say all charges have been dropped and my name has been cleared.”

Earlier today the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) released the following statement:

‘We have advised all concerned parties that the CPS is discontinuing the prosecution of Jamaal Lascelles, who had been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm on 23 April 2014.

Following an in-depth review and careful analysis of the evidence we have taken the decision to discontinue the case. Once we had received and viewed CCTV evidence first-hand, it became apparent that this did not show that the defendant had been responsible for the injuries sustained by the victim.

It was therefore deemed that there was no longer a realistic prospect of a conviction, and so the case was stopped.’

After a nightmare season on the pitch as well, with only nine Championship starts so far, let’s hope that Jamaal Lascelles gets himself sorted to show that he is capable of helping with Newcastle United’s defensive problems next season, rather than adding to them.